Applying for an International Student Visa

If you want to study in United States, as an International student or foreign national you will need a student visa to enter USA. The student visa is issued by the US State Department and the process of applying needs to be done in the following way.

Schengen Visa Travel Insurance

The following is very important to the Us State Department and there for to you as an applicant of a US student visa.

Law-abiding – Criminal behavior is grounds for deportation

The student is able to support him/her self financially during the stay.

The student intent to leave United States after completion of the studies.

There are 3 different student Visa’s you can apply for

F1 – The F1 visa is for students attending academic programs or English Language programs. The F1 visa is for full-time students and the student has to maintain the minimum course load. The student can stay 60 days after completion of their academic program. The student is expected to complete their studies in the nominated time. The I-20 form from your college or university is necessary to apply for this visa

J1 – The J1 visa is for students that need practical training in United States, which is not available in the student’s home country. This is to complete the international student’s academic program.

M1 – The M1 visa is for students that want to attend non-academic or vocational school in USA.

Remember that each International student visa is different and what visa you need to apply for depends on your special circumstances.

The most important thing to do before you apply for your international student visa is funding for your studies in USA. You need funding for your education and your living expenses while you are in United States. Remember that you cannot work while in USA on a student visa. The financials for your student stay in America has to be in place to have a chance at getting a student visa, don’t rely on potential income. The income you show on your application must be equal to or exceed the costs of the first year of studies.

It’s important that you contact your university or college of your choice, and they will inform you what they need from you in order to determine that you are academically eligible to study at their college or university. Among other requirements you need to show your school that you have enough money to support yourself while studying at their school. You also need to have health insurance in United States as the cost of health care without insurance can be a hefty bill. When the college or university has determined that you are eligible they will issue you an I-20 form that you will need for you visa application. With your I-20 form in hand visit the U.S Embassy in your home country, where you live. This is where you will apply for your U.S International Student Visa.

The following things you will need at the U.S Embassy.

-You will have to pay a non-refundable application fee. If your visa does not get approved you will not get your money back so check your documents well before applying.

-Application form DS-156 need to be completed and sign, this form you will get at the U.S Embassy

-A form DS-157 for all male age 16-45

-You need a valid passport with passport expiration date of 6 month beyond your intended study in United States.

-You need a photograph 1 by ½ inches square (37 x 37mm) showing your full face

-If you are applying for a F1 student visa remember you I-20A-B form from your college or university. If you are applying for a M1 visa bring the form I-20 M-N Bring proof that you have enough money to support yourself to the U.S Embassy.

It is very important when speaking to the U.S Embassy officer; make sure that you prove to them that you have strong family ties in your home country and that you will leave United States after completion of your education there.

This is very important in your application process. Proof of ties to your home country could be family there mother,father brother sister. Letter from a future employer or a car in your name that you still have in your home country. Anything that you can show that you are coming back is good when you talk to the US officer at the embassy.


You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *